Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Camping in Midway, Utah

Because of our commitment in Soldier Hollow Saturday morning, we decided to camp nearby on Friday night. The spot we found was about 10 miles away from Soldier Hollow at Wasatch Mountain State Park, near the golf course in Midway. The campground was clean and private, the views spectacular, and we had hot showers!

Upon arrival Friday night at 7:30 pm, we immediately unloaded our gear, built a fire to cook dinner on, and the kids took off on their bikes to survey the area. We were getting worried when dinner was ready and they weren't back yet. Turns out it was a long way down the hill... and a long way back up. We were glad they made it back and that they remembered to use the buddy system and stay together. Lisa and Brigham set up our tents. They are getting pretty good at it.
We roasted smoked sausages for dinner. It was fun to enjoy dinner together around our little cozy fire. The sun had set behind the mountains and it got a bit chilly, but we were prepared with our winter coats. No problem.

After dinner, we made s'mores and ate our fill, then lounged by the fire watching the coals burn and glow.We laughed a lot, sang a little, and rehearsed many impersonations of "Kid History," which is a silly set of videos posted on YouTube that we have been watching daily since my cousinshared it with us a week ago... thanks, Anna! Isaac has the voices down exactly! We were laughing pretty hard. At one time, I laughed so loud that Rachel said, "Mom, you are an evil witch!" (I think she meant that I laughed like an evil witch at that moment... I hope.) We all laughed at that.

When the stars came out, we headed to bed, girls in one tent, boys in the other. Isaac was a bit worried about the local animal visitors we might encounter at night, but David explained that the mountain lions in the area are more afraid of us than we are of him. (Have you ever heard that before? And did you believe it?)

We all slept well and woke to a beautiful day dawning. We stoked up the fire and started cooking breakfast. I forgot to pack the eggs, so we improvised and came up with a hashbrown and sausage dutch oven delight. It was really good! I cooked oatmeal for Rachel, who prefers oatmeal over almost anything else. (Luckily I didn't forget to pack that!) And we heated some water for dishes--I wished I had remembered hot cocoa mix because it was chilly that morning and it would have tasted good... next time. All our meals were cooked over a fire--no need for a stove of any sort!After breakfast, I cleaned up while the kids explored the campground. Rachel was curious about the ground hogs. The moving bushes startled her at first, then one of those funny creatures came poking around our campsite looking for food. We got a kick out of watching him. I told Rachel that my Uncle Rod calls these animals "Whistle Pigs" because of the funny sound they make. We explored a "deer trail" and wound up at a "people trail" with a bridge! That was a serendipity!
Then we packed up our bedding and got ready for the race in Soldier Hollow. (See earlier post)
Following the race, we returned to camp that afternoon to eat lunch, shower and change to clean clothes,lounge in the shade, go on a short hike, ride bikes around the deserted campground, and pack up our things. Check out time was 4 pm.
In the end, we had some pretty happy campers!
On the way out of town, we stopped at Memorial Hill, which has been on my bucket list since I was 10!Thanks to my hero, David, who didn't pass up the opportunity to check it out.
This is what the route looked like on our GPS:
And here's the view back at our campground, in the Northwest corner of Heber Valley:

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome trip! I have to say the GPS route was what cracked me up the most.

    ReplyDelete